Lawrence County Substance Abuse Coalition
To be a community coalition that creates positive cultural change to reduce substance abuse among youth and adults in Lawrence County.
Safe, Healthy and Drug Free Lawrence County
How can Lawrence County create change?
According to Wikipedia, “Environmental change” is a change or disturbance of the environment most often caused by human influences. We, as a community, have the power to work together and change the social norm of our youth and young adults regarding substance misuse that leads to misuse and abuse. The key is we all have to be on board, consistently speak the same message and work together to accomplish this over time.
This “environmental change” can be achieved in our own community by using seven evidence based strategies.
Provide Information – Informing our community including youth, young adults and parents on the risks of substance abuse, facts vs. myths, warning signs to help prevent substance abuse.
Enhance Skills - Learn what others are doing to address the problem and increase the amount of trained people with prevention skills to help implement substance abuse prevention in our community.
Provide Support – We want to partner with other sectors in the community to create alternative activities that are substance free for our youth. We also want to support peer/adult mentoring programs, help provide referrals for those needing help and support youth prevention clubs or support groups.
Enhance Access/Reduce Barriers – Increase access to permanent medication disposal sites for more convenient disposal of expired or unused medication. Provide lock boxes to secure medications at home to decrease social access to potentially addictive medications.
Permanent Disposal sites in Lawrence County are at the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department (240 West Gaines) and the Ethridge City Police Department (210 Depot St, Ethridge). Lock boxes to secure your medication are available through the Lawrence County Substance Abuse Coalition.
Change Consequences – Increase or decrease the probability of a specific behavior through incentives or disincentives.
Physical Design – Change the physical design or structure of the environment to encourage safety.
Modify/Change Policies - Encourage workplaces to have drug-free policies. Assist businesses to create a drug-free workplace or tobacco free campus policy. Assist businesses with policies on support and recovery for those dealing with substance abuse.
Goals for the Lawrence County Substance Abuse Coalition include:
Address and reduce past 30-day binge drinking among 14-25 year olds.
Address and reduce past 30-day tobacco use among 12-17 year olds.
Address and reduce past 30-day non-medical prescription drugs among persons aged 12-25 in Lawrence County, the Middle Tennessee Region and statewide.
Reduce substance use related problems.
Build community level prevention capacity and infrastructure to prevent the onset and reduce the progression of substance abuse.
Leverage, redirect and realign state-wide funding streams for substance abuse prevention to be used to create local change.
Resources for Recovery
Click the button above for the Community Advisory Board local resource guide
- The Tennessee REDLINE (1-800-889-9789) is a toll-free information and referral line coordinated by TAADAS and funded by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health Substance Abuse Services. The Redline provides referrals for Co-Occurring A&D disorders that arise along with Mental Health disorders.
- Tennessee Tobacco Quit Line1-800-QUIT-NOW 1-800-784-8669 www.tnquitline.com
- Celebrate Recovery http://mymarshill.org/celebrate-recovery/ Monday and Saturday at 6 p.m. Mars Hill Baptist Church- 630 Weakley Creek Road
- Alcoholics Anonymous Meets at Harbor House 212 South Military St. Sundays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Noon Call Natalie 931-698-9967 or Steven 931-629-9967 for more information
- Narcotics Anonymous Meets at 7p.m. Friday through Tuesday at Old Armory 1001 Marh Ave. Call Nannette at 931-242-4677 We Are Set Free 12-step recovery Meets Thursdays at 7p.m. (219 W. Commerce St. Loretto, TN)
- Winner’s Group of A.A. Word of Life Church (3 Rabbit Trail Road, Leoma, TN) Call 904-626-3860 for more information
- Addiction CampusesHeadquartered in Nashville, Addiction Campuses specializes in individualized addiction and mental health treatment. Call the 24-hour helpline 1(888) 512-3321. http://addictioncampusestn.
- StartYourRecovery.org is a free, confidential resource developed with the input of leading clinicians, experts from the White House and SAMHSA, and people in recovery themselves. The website helps individuals take steps toward a healthy relationship with drugs and alcohol. Here, visitors can learn about the experiences of people like them and find the answers they need for recognizing and dealing with substance use issues. https://startyourrecovery.org/
Learn more about Coalitions here: https://www.tn.gov/behavioral-health/topic/prevention
This project is funded by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.