Duties of the Department
The County Executive is the chief executive officer of the county and is the highest elected official. The position also serves as the chief financial officer for the county as provided by law. The Executive is responsible for the coordinated processing and analysis of all County legislative measures. Staff present the administration's views in support of or in opposition to various measures, and provide assistance to elected officials regarding issues or requests of concern to their constituency. As Chief Executive Officer of the county, the County Executive exercises a role of leadership in Lawrence County government. The primary duties focus on county financial management.
- The County Executive compiles a budget for all county departments, offices, and agencies, which is presented to the County Commission.
- The County Executive may examine the accounts of all county officers.
- The County Executive oversees the county's payroll function for county employees.
- The County Executive oversees accounting functions such as bank accounts, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- The County Executive oversees the Lawrence County personnel (human resources) function. This function is responsible for the legal hiring and firing of employees, recommending salary ranges and pay scales, administering employee benefits, etc.
- The County Executive oversees Lawrence County's purchasing function. This would include buying supplies and services.
- The County Executive works closely with the County Attorney on all legal matters affecting Lawrence County.
- The County Executive oversees the county's insurance needs and liability issues.
- The County Executive sets the standard for ethics for Lawrence County. He or she must be familiar with the conflict-of-interest laws and disclosure laws which are applicable to Lawrence County and its employees.
- The County Executive oversees Lawrence County's solid waste management program to ensure it meets all new (and evolving) Tennessee standards.
- The County Executive works closely with the County Chamber of Commerce and other organizations in trying to find and attract new businesses and industries to Lawrence County.